If Ya Negroid And Ya Know It Sing Along!

Category: , , , , , By Glamour Diva & galaxyMafia
I remember those golden days of childhood, riding in the back seat of my parent’s Buick while the radio blasted the latest hits. The sonorous strains of Earth, Wind, and Fire, Johnny Guitar Watson, Aretha Franklin, The Dramatics, and Millie Jackson (among others) would fill my ears and all us kids would sing along at the top of our lungs like we knew what the hell we were singing! Seriously, how many of you, at the ripe old age of eight, really knew that Bobby Caldwell was singing about a horny-ass, co-dependent woman? Or that the “very, first time” Betty Wright was singing about was the first time she got laid? I mean for all you knew she could have been talking about the first time she got to stay up late or the first time she got to ride her bike…alone!

But you see all that didn’t matter because the only thing that mattered was that we were having fun while engaging in an activity that was free of charge and one that bound us, not only to our family and friends, but to every other black person across America! A month or so ago, me and a few friends of mine (people I’ve known since high school) got together and saw comedian Rickey Smiley in concert. Now if you’ve never seen Rickey I suggest you do next time he stops in your town. If you have seen him then you already know he’s a sho nuff fool! You also know that at the end of his set he likes to play a few old school jams and have everyone sing along. I can’t adequately explain the sheer beauty of hearing thousands of (primarily) black voices crooning like Lenny Williams and barking to Atomic Dog (Rickey’s a proud Omega)!

While experiencing this I couldn’t help looking around at all those black faces and feeling so very proud to be a part of such a wonderful and joyous celebration of our musical culture. Being in that auditorium with all those people, believe it or not, was just as special as those days spent sitting in the back seat of my parent’s Buick. Below is a list of my favorite old school, sing-a-long joints. It is by no means an exhaustive list therefore I invite you to add your own…so we can all sing like we know what the hell we’re singing…again!

What You Won't Do For Love – Bobby Caldwell

My friends wonder what is wrong with me
Well I'm in a daze from your love, you see
I came back to let you know
Got a thing for you and I can't let go


Tell Me Something Good – Rufus featuring Chaka Khan

Got no time is what you're known to say
I'll make you wish there were 48 hours to each day
Problem is you ain't been loved like you should
What I got to give will sure 'nuff do you good

Tell me something good (tell me, tell me, tell me)
Tell me that you love me
Tell me something good (tell me, tell me, tell me)
Tell me that you like it, yeah


Happy Feelin’s – Maze featuring Frankie Beverly

Happy feelin's in the air touching people everywhere

Plenty love and everything listen to the people sing
I got myself to remind me of love

My mind and my heart I believe in above

These happy feelin's I'll spread them all over the world

From deep in my soul I wish you
Happy Feelin's Happy Feelin's

Happy Feelin's Happy Feelin's


Square Biz – Teena Marie

I've been called Casper, Shorty, Lil' Bit
And some they call me Vanilla Child
But you know that don't mean my world to me
'Cause baby, names can't cramp my style
[I love chicken] And Buff's collard greens
A little hot water corn bread
I love you too Cat daddy
But don't you let that go to your head
That's what I'm talking, baby
Square Biz, Square Biz


This Is For The Lover In You – Shalamar

(So this is) For the lover in you
(This ring) Means I’ll always be true
(This is) How we’ll start love anew
(This time) It’s gonna last forever


Special Lady – Ray, Goodman & Brown

Before I met you, my sun didn't want to shine
Then all of a sudden you slipped up from behind
Pop (pop) went the reasons in my mind

(You must be a special lady) you're a lady
(And a very exciting girl) so exciting, woo
(You gotta be a special lady) you're a lady
('Cause you got me sittin' on top of the world)
Oh, sittin' on top of the world
You're a lady
(Sittin' on top of the world)
(Sittin' on top of the world)


Ain't No Stopping Us Now – McFadden & Whitehead

I know you know someone who's got a negative vibe
And if you only help it will only keep it alive
They really don't have nowhere to go
Ask 'em where they're going
They don't know
But we won't let nothing hold us back
We gonna get ourselves together
We gonna polish up our act, yeah
And if you've ever been held down before
I know that you’ll refuse to be held down any more

Don't you let nothing, nothing
Stand in your way (No no)
And all we gonna do
I want you to listen, listen
To every word I say
Every word I say


Tonight Is the Night – Betty Wright

Now when I finally got a melody
I took it home and I played it for my mother
Now I got to tell you a little bit about my mother
You see I come from one of those pretty large families
And I’m the baby of the family
And you know you never grow up to your mother
I’ll never forget the way she looked at me when I played it for her
She said, “Uh, I like the music
You know, baby, the melody it’s really nice
But I know you’re not gonna sing that song”
But we eased it right on by, yes, we did


Float On – The Floaters

Cancer and my name is Larry
And I like a woman
That loves everything and everybody
Because I love everybody and everything
And you know what, ladies,
If you feel that this is you
Then this is what I want you to do

Ooh, yeah, take my hand
Let me take you to Love Land
Let me show you how sweet it could be
Sharing your love with Larry, listen

Float, float on (You better float with me now)
Float on, float on (Float on)
Float, float, float on (Yeah, yeah)
(You better float on)
(Float on)
(Ah)


And the mother of all sing-a-longs…
'Cause I Love You - Lenny Williams

And my friend told me, he said, “Lenny,
You just oughta forget about her”
But I told my friend, I said, “You know
Maybe you’ve never been in love like I’ve been in love
And maybe you’ve never felt the things that I’ve felt”
But this is what I told my friend
I said, “You know, sometimes you get lonely
You get lonely, you get lonely”
Oh, oh, oh, oh, oh, oh, oh
And I cry, I cry
Oh, oh, oh, oh, oh, oh, oh, oh, oh, oh, oh, oh, oh
And the tears would fill up in the wells
In the wells of my eyes, aww baby
And then it got so bad, it got so bad
Till one time I thought I’d roll myself up in a big ol’ ball and die


And finally Jerry (The Real Nasty Man…Sorry Aaron Hall…) Collins’ favorite song: Shining Star – The Manhattans

Yes…even Pacific Islanders know about The Manhattans…even ones who weren’t born when the song was originally released!

JC is gonna wrap those 22 inch biceps around my neck and squeeze my head clean off if I keep teasing him! But I can’t stop…won’t stop! Besides, here at SATS we only tease people we like. What would be the point otherwise? Anyhoo, I think JC knows all these songs (He’s plenty ghetto, just not Negroid) but if he doesn’t I will gladly teach him…(giggle) – GD
 

0 comments so far.

Something to say?