Happy 1st Anniversary Sex and the Sushi!

Happy Birthday to us!

Who would have thought that two opinionated black girls from Texas, with too much time on their hands and not enough cash, would have been able to focus on a blog for one solid year? Okay so there was that time in May 2005 (it was summer and we both had some serious issues so give us a break yo!) when we slacked off in a major way but we’ve pretty much stayed the course since then. We’ve even managed to make a few friends, a few enemies and hopefully, entertained and educated our readers along the way.

Most of all, we’ve been able to relieve some stress by sounding off on some of the hottest topics of the day (racism, sexism…pretty much all the major “isms”) as well as some of the old tried and true areas of discord such as why men are so dangnabit stupid and why women continue to put up with their shit as well as, and this is the part that really chaps our collective hides here at SATS, assist them in their mistreatment of us by buying into their idea of what women should be. But that, as we say here at SATS, is another post altogether. So on with the festivities!

Sit back, relax, and join us as we take a tour through the last twelve months of our existence; the highs…the lows…the kvetching and moaning…the calling out of politicians, public figures, celebrities, and the common rabble (and yes even ourselves!) on their shit…so on and so on ad nauseam (or ad infinitum if you prefer)…:

Extra! Extra! Miss Sakamoto Interviews The Sushi Girls™!

Miss Sakamoto: Why did you want to start a blog?

galaxyMafia: Initially, this blog was called The Sushi Diaries and it's sole function was to support the non-fiction novel GD and I were writing called "How To Eat Sushi Off A Guy" or something like that. I may have the title wrong. But, the blog was created to generate interest in the book. I was hoping that if lots of people came to our blog and started talking about it, publishers would come a-knockin' with book deals. Well, that's what I get for hoping, right?

Glamour Diva: Because GM wanted to start a blog to support the non-fiction novel we were writing. I always thought blogs were silly and a bit self-indulgent and I’m self-indulgent enough as it is (as proven by my ever expanding middle) but GM was able to convince me this would be the exception. Well it wasn’t. Sometimes it’s a chore and I really do “phone it in” on occasion but “hope springs eternal” as the poem goes; Random House is bound to catch on soon. Right?!?!?

MS: What is your favorite entry?

GM: I don't have one specific favorite but I like the "Shut Up" posts by GD. As for my own posts, well, I think they're all kind of silly. The truth is, I am not the best non-fiction satirist. I'm much better at fiction which is why I introduced serialized fiction to the blog. . .don't know if that was a good idea or not????

GD: This is hard! I love all my babies but I guess if I had a shotgun to my head and Dick Cheney’s dirty, raggedy, claws on my booty I’d have to pick All Hail Glamour Diva! Queen of All She Surveys! I think it really set the tone for the blog and the way GM and I think about men. I also love GM’s White Girls Can’t Loose! It’s funny because it’s true! [Giggle]

MS: What is your favorite comment?

GM: In March of 2005, when we first put the blog up, my sister gave us our first comments and I'll always appreciate that. Here's another comment I like: "I'm with you on this galaxyMafia. I dig Ben, too regardless of how smaltzy the movie is." That was posted by Donna and it was cool to find someone else who could appreciate a tall, handsome man. I wrote a post about Ben Affleck as a counter to all the foolishness about a certain "zebra" who acts on a FOX show and whose name I shall not write in this interview!! I promise!!!

GD:
Oh this one is easy! I sho nuff love "Bob" telling me how fine he is and how I couldn't handle a real man like him! Not only is it representative of most of my experiences with the opposite species but it was the beginning of my very first blogosphere fight!

MS: Whose name are you always happy to see in your comments?

GM: Other than my sister, I have to say probably a lady named Donna.

GD:
Yes Ms. Donna is my favorite too! We miss you Donna!

MS: What are your favorite blogs/bloggers?

GM: I really don't look at other people's blogs. If I do, I start thinking, “I don't have time to read this. I need to work on my own blog!

GD:
I don’t really have a favorite either. The ones we have listed on the blog are good but I don’t think I could call any of them my “fav”. I really don’t have time for too much intense blog reading ya know?

MS: If you could change/rewrite one blog, what would it be?

GM: I'd probably take "Bulletproof Love" and cast another actor. Maybe Eddie Cibrian, or even Ben. But then I like them so it would have a completely different tone.

GD: I don’t think I would change anything really. I like going back and reading about whatever it was that interested me or pissed me off in the past. I like seeing how much I’ve grown…or not grown as the case may be…

MS:
What has changed most for you in the past year?

GM: I have become a lot meaner and more contrary. I can't stand or put up with anything but, I know I have issues and I'm working on them. Sort of.

GD: Well I certainly write more which is good but other than that, nothing damn much! I was always a contrary, verbal bitch so really nothing.

MS: What has your greatest accomplishment been in the past year?

GM: I finished my romantic comedy and I actually allowed other people besides my sister to read it and they liked it. I'm also writing a mystery and my co-workers really like that so I figure I'm soon to be published.

GD: Once again, my writing. There’s more of it now and I’m more disciplined about getting it out there.

MS: What man/men personify your tagline the most?

GM: Believe it or not, I have to say Ben Affleck. I suppose he is my dream soulmate (Jenny G notwithstanding) but, really, when he opens his mouth nothing comes out put pontification, postulation, speculation and invocation. It's all sound and fury signifying nothing. Pomp and circumstance without sentiment or substance. Other than that, it's all good.

GD: No question…Paul Walker baby! If there is anyone who should be objectified and not heard it’s that walking Faberge Egg! He’s utterly useless but good night is he ever beautiful!

The Twelve Months Of Sex and the Sushi

So we totally cribbed this idea from Bitch magazine but since they’ve been around for ten years and we’ve only been blogging for one, we really couldn’t have lots of big lists on our top ten thus and suches so we decided to do lots of little lists on our top twelve thus and suches. [Heh! Get it? One for each month!]

12 Sexy Men We Love – The Game, Xzibit, Jonathan Togo, Adam Rodriguez, Matthew Gray Gubler, Common, Evan Marriott, Ben Affleck, Eddie Cibrian, Tom Brady, Jerry O'Connell, The Rock

12 Men We’d Marry If We Believed In Marriage – Barack Obama, Al Gore, Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje, Tavis Smiley, Ed Bradley, Ken Griffey Jr., Boris Becker, Nate Berkus, Shane Lynch, Peton Manning, Ronde and Tiki Barber


12 Men We’d Quit Our Jobs For – Steve Jobs, The Sultan Of Brunei, Leonard Lauder, Haim Saban, Charles C. Butt, David Filo, John R. Menard, Jr., Prince Harry, Larry Ellison, the Google Guys, Richard Branson


12 Sexy Men Over 40 We Love – Harry Belafonte, Paul Newman, Harvey Keitel, Richard Roundtree, Robert DeNiro, Keanu Reeves, Tom Selleck, Tom Wopat, Timothy Dalton, Donald Sutherland, Avery Brooks, Dennis Haysbert


12 Men Prettier Than Wentworth Miller – Carlos “Caco” Ricci Souza, Leo Peixoto, Paul Walker, Travis Fimmel, Jude Law, Ryan Phillippe, Elijah Wood, Jason Momoa, Orlando Bloom, Tom Welling, Louis Garrel, Karim Aum


12 Mopeds (“Fun to ride but you wouldn’t want your friends to see you on it”) We Hate To Love – 50 Cent, Scott Stapp, Lenny Kravitz, Vince Vaughn, Bono, Tego Calderón, Michael Buble, Mark Walberg, David Beckam, Jesse James, Jay McGraw, Jesse Metcalf

And One Mo Damn Thing!

Ms. GD and galaxyMafia don’t agree on many things but one thing we are always of one mind on is how much we love or readers – Thank you so much to all our Dear Readers!

When we started this we never expected to garner such a following or any following for that matter. But with great power comes great…HATERS!

Yes we know we’re hated (or at the very least despised) by many of our more disgruntled (yet still very much loved) readers. To you we give our most sincere and heartfelt thanks for disliking us so very much and for expressing that dislike all up and down our blog! With out you we would not have experienced a 50% jump in page views as well as recognition on other sites/blogs/forums. So keep on hating on us, linking to our blog, talking trash behind our backs, removing us from your sites and leaving us “anonymous” comments. We really do appreciate it! Seriously…we do!

Cheers!

Smooches and High Fives,
galaxyMafia & Glamour Diva


 

3 comments so far.

  1. Anonymous 7:02 AM, March 24, 2006
    Congratulations on your first anniversary! I have been a faithful reader since about November of 2005. I introduced my sister to the blog as well, and she loves it too! I was first introduced to your blog when I clicked on a link in a post on the imdb message board for Prison Break. I have been a fan ever since. Once again, congrats and keep up the great work!
  2. Anonymous 11:12 AM, March 24, 2006
    Prettier than Wentworth Miller?

    That's hard and that list is a little skewed.

    Elijah Wood: Maybe, when Went is caught at a bad angle.
    Orlando Bloom: No!
    Ryan Phillipe: HA!
    Jude Law: ewww...not pretty enough to be the dirty man-ho he is.
    Tom Welling: It's a tie, I'd take either one.

    Otherwise, congrats on you 1st anniversary.
  3. Anonymous 4:25 PM, March 24, 2006
    Happy anniversary ladies! I've only been reading for a few months, but y'all are hilarious -- keep up the good work!

    And hell yes to Tom Welling :)

Something to say?